Harry Joe Q&A
I am a New Englander at heart!
Harry Joe's top 5 things you should do before you start the citizenship process
During the 30 years he’s spent helping people attain citizenship, Joe has compiled what he believes are the top 5 things you should do before you start the citizenship process:
- Have competent legal counsel to advise you on your eligibility for citizenship .
- Be totally truthful to your legal adviser .
- Have valid documentation in order to establish your eligibility .
- Prepare to meet all requirements -- for example, learning about American government and American history and gaining the ability to speak, read and write English fluently .
- Do not apply if you are clearly ineligible.
And Joe says there is one common mistake that permanently prevents you from earning citizenship and leads to deportation.
“People who obtained their permanent resident status unlawfully are not eligible to apply for US Citizenship,” Joe warns. “Such applicants are often caught off guard, only to find themselves in deportation / removal proceedings. The U. S. Citizenship and Immigration Services is now more apt to discover facts that would lead to the conclusion that the applicant's permanent resident status was not lawfully acquired.”