Mary Evelyn Blagg Huey, 95, died June 27 in Denton. She served as a faculty member in the UNT government department from 1947 to 1971. She then moved on to become dean of the graduate school at Texas Woman’s University in 1971 and was TWU president from 1976 to 1986 – the first woman and only TWU alum to serve in that position. She was inducted into the Texas Women’s Hall of Fame in 1984, and the Blagg-Huey Library at TWU is named in her honor.
She earned her bachelor's degree in English and music and a master's degree in English literature from what was then Texas State College for Women, now TWU. She taught English at the college from 1943 to 1945 and was assistant director of the Bureau of Public Administration at the University of Mississippi from 1946 to 1947. She also earned a master's degree in public administration from the University of Kentucky and took a leave of absence from the North Texas faculty from 1951 to 1954 to earn a Ph.D. in political science from Duke University.
She and her husband, the late Griffin B. Huey (’42), were members of the UNT President’s Council and supported the College of Arts and Sciences. At UNT, she established the Griffin Burns Huey Honors Scholarship in honor of her husband and the Henry G. Huey Honors Scholarship in honor of her son.
Services are scheduled at 10:30 a.m. Saturday, July 1, at First Presbyterian Church in Denton, 1114 W. University Drive.